Reminder: Celebration of First Gen College Students tomorrow (Thurs)!

Reminder: If you’re the first person in your family to pursue a bachelor’s degree, stop by CSE 691 this Thursday, 9:30-10:30, for breakfast!

The UW joins the national National First-Generation College Celebration with UW initiatives celebrating First Gen students.

As University Diversity Director Rickey Hall wrote in his message to the UW community this morning: “Being the first” in your family or community to attend college comes with a set of unique challenges and all too often our first-generation students feel invisible. As a first-gen student myself, I know this well. I am also aware of the great contributions that are made by our first-gen community members, faculty and staff included. Your experience and perspective make us better as an institution. It brings me great joy that our three campuses can come together to elevate your success during what will be a special day throughout the nation.”
The Allen School looks forward to seeing our First Gen students on Thursday! Also watch for faculty and staff wearing “I Am First-Gen” buttons this week, provided by the UW to showcase how many others were the first in their families. 🙂
November 7, 2018