follow-up message

From: Hank Levy <levy@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM
Subject: follow-up message

I’d like to reach out to all of you regarding the recent editorial written by Allen School faculty member Stuart Reges and the Allen School’s response to the editorial. In particular, I want you to know that I’ve posted a more detailed response (here) to Reges’ editorial – it appears below the original response on the same diversity web page.

While this has become a very public discussion, I am particularly concerned about the impact of the editorial on our community, and I know that others share this concern.  We have worked hard to foster a culture that reflects our values when it comes to diversity and inclusion, and we are considering ways to reinforce that culture in the future.

We know it is important that members of our community have a way for school leadership to hear their thoughts and concerns. We’ve set up a new email address, leadership@cs.washington.edu, which can be used to post comments to our leadership team (me, Dan Grossman, and Ed Lazowska), our Advisors, and our Assistant Director for Diversity & Outreach.  Please feel free to send any questions, concerns, ideas, etc. to this list if you’d like to communicate with us on this topic.

Hank

July 2, 2018